10.19.2005

Nutty Putty Cave Adventures...


This is just one of many... This happend sometime last year. Or early this year.. cant remember.


So we decided late one night that it would be a good idea to go to nutty putty. I don't know who thought of it first but it was instantly embraced by all. It being the perfect night for it of course.. middle of the winter.. It just snowed a ton.. which means.. water in the cave and mud on trail =GOOD TIME! So we grab a flash light and water and what ever saltine crackers we can find. We pile in the truck and away we go.. (by the way.. this trip was me Dan and Davy. We took Dan's truck. It only seats 2 people. Just a side note) We finally get to the turn off and we knew instantly what kind of adventure it would be... It was cold and there was fresh mud everywhere. Also there was some snow drift the covered some of the bad spots so it made it just a bit more dangerous. We get off the main dirt road and onto the "trail" it was probably the worst I've ever seen it. We were sliding all over the place barely missing HUGE ruts FULL of water and snow, trees big sage brush and oh of course fences. At one point over correcting to the point where we almost "doinked the fence" (that's a direct quote from Dan as he was driving.. he shouts.. "I almost doinked the fence" It was so funny. So we make it half way up the rock hill and park it. We strip down to our cave gear. (Shorts, short sleeve shirt and flashlight) we are forced to run the rest of the way up the hill due to the bitter cold. We get to the pit and start climbing down the main entrance. I was the first one down. I yell up to everyone "holy crap that's a lot of VERY cold water! We were almost discouraged from going in at all. It was the deepest water any of us ever saw! I decide I would just take my shirt off and stuff it back in a somewhat dry area and dive in. Saying lets just "take it like a man and do it!” I held my breath and jumped head first trying to keep my face out of it. I didn't breathe for I don't know how long. After much screaming like a woman I calm down and wait for the others. Davy's turn next. It takes a while to get to get the guts to jump into arctic waters with nothing but shorts on. He goes shirtless as well. I'm pretty sure I hear the f word slip as he’s coming through...lol! Now Dan. He does it a little different. Takes his shirt off and sticks it down the back of his pants. Remarkably it stays dry and he puts it back on when we get into the first big chamber. Me and Davy crawl through the entire cave shirtless. We come back hours later. Time to go home…

Part two.

None of us are willing to get soaking wet again only to face the bitter cold outside. What do we do? Well I notice there is an old green hose someone left near the entrance. I'm thinking "what in the world is this doing here" then it hits me. Of course! Perfect! I position the hose just right in the deepest part of the frigged water. After many encouraging words we finally convince Dan to suck the hose so the water will start to drain out towards another section of the cave. I'm watching everything from above. Dan puts his hand over the hose so he wouldn't have to put his mouth on it and starts to suck. It doesn't work. To much air gets through his fingers. So we tell him to put his mouth on it. Taking one for the team he does and its nasty to see. Suddenly in slow motion now I see nasty cave water spewing out of the hose and into his mouth as he tries to pull it away! VICTORY... Dan is spitting nasty cave water for the next 20 min.! Well it got most the water out but there is still enough to soak the front of your body. We are happy with the results as it is a much better situation. I go first. Then Davy. We all meet at the top of the hole. Already freezing to death and now drenched on our front sides we hesitate only for a moment. At this point we do the only logical thing... we instantly all strip down buck naked and start running down the hill. (Don’t tell me you wouldn’t have done the same thing. It was the best thing to do. The wind dried us off pretty fast and so it was actually warmer with no clothes on. Because they were all wet! No big deal right.. lol) Half way down we hear the funniest thing in the world. Someone has a good stumble and we hear someone yell "SAGE BRUSH!" we all almost collapsed! We get to the truck and put on a set of dry something. We get our water and crackers and drive home with yet another nutty putty cave adventure behind us. And another story to tell.

The picture above was from a few years back but a nutty putty trip none the less. You always come back looking something like this. Dirty and all banged up!

Thats what the adventures are all about! I already miss it! Who knows when the next one will be.

2 comments:

  1. Sagebrush!!!
    that night we went through the birth canal. man that sucked. i think that was the best cave trip ever. those winter trips really were the greatest now that i think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know it man! Im gonna miss it.. but hopfully I wont miss to much. I think I'll only be gone a year.. maybe I could come back this summer for a week or 2 and we could do a moab or some other southern utah trip!?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments.